Director of Industrial Design
PopSockets LLC, based in Boulder, Colorado, designs, manufactures and sells innovative lifestyle products. Our flagship product, the PopSockets grip, was invented by philosophy professor David Barnett, with the first grip sold on PopSockets.com in 2014. Our product is a collapsible grip and stand that provides secure one-handed holding for any mobile device. Customizable, re-positionable, and fun to pop, PopSockets products embody the company's mission to create empowering, personal, and magical products. The PopSockets San Francisco is office focused on Design & Development of our next generation products.
The Director of Industrial Design at PopSockets can independently drive his or her own projects while also helping to guide the rest of the ID staff. This individual also promotes cross-pollination between the various teams within our Design & Development department to ensure that all disciplines are heading along the same vector. Help define our design language and product DNA, while pushing to innovate and expand into new categories. Should be self-driven, flexible, and comfortable in a fast-paced environment. This position is located in our new San Francisco studio and collaborates with our headquarters in Boulder, CO.
- Lead the Industrial Designer staff through their projects, help develop their toolboxes, and drive group brainstorms
- Design and develop products from concepts to production
- Drive our growth into new product categories through research and ideation, while also building business cases with our Product Management team
- Coordinate with our CMF team to make sure every surface design detail is considered
- Check and approve every tech pack the ID team produces
- Work with our manufacturing partners to ensure our designs become realities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, or equivalent
- 7+ years of industrial design work, preferably in high-volume consumer goods, consumer electronics, or accessories
- 3+ years experience managing/leading a Design team, including interview experience, hiring and performance reviews
- Proficiency with CAD tools (Solidworks or Creo preferred), Keyshot, and Adobe CS
- Strong sensitivity to form detail and surfacing
- Experience with different materials and manufacturing processes
- Embraces a hands-on approach with lots of quick prototyping
- Desire to innovate and challenge the status quo
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally up to 15%
How to Apply:
Please submit your résumé and portfolio (pdf or link) to HR@popsockets.com with the subject line “Director of Industrial Design - Your Name”.